Friday, January 11, 2008

At 吳文馨 Mr. Wu, Wen-Hsing’s Funeral

At Mr. Wu, Wen-Hsing’s funeral

By Shirley Yen

The year 2006 marked the 30th anniversary of the sudden loss of my mother from a heart attack. In remembrance of her, I wrote a long article revealing how difficult my grief process had been and how I came out of that perpetuating sorrow.

More than a year later, I happened to sit at the same table with Mr. Wen-Hsing Wu at a luncheon. After lunch, he came to me, held my hand, and told me what he had in mind for a year after reading my article.

“Hi Shirley, I have always wanted to tell you this but have not had the chance to meet you. Your article in memory of your mother touched my heart deeply,” said Mr. Wu sincerely.

He told me that he understood how difficult it was to cope with the loss of a loved one because he had a similar experience. He said that his mother passed away all of a sudden when he was just a young college graduate. The sudden death impacted him so much that he was depressed with life for a prolonged period of time. He told me that it was important to go through the grief process and move forward in the life journey, as it took conscious effort and courage to come out of the sorrow. He was glad I had found my way out of the grief.

After we finished our conversation, he gave me a hug. At that moment, I was moved, surprised and appreciative. Standing before me, Mr. Wu, a successful entrepreneur, humbly expressed his sincere care to my personal grief story written more than a year ago and showed his support to me even though he is just an acquaintance much less than an ordinary friend.

His life was short, yet he achieved greatness with little things. 生命雖短,舉止唯揚.
May God be with his family at this most difficult time.
08/14/2007

No comments: